lovelygirl and me

lovelygirl and me

Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Child Is Waiting

I just watched a movie, "A Child Is Waiting."  Filmed in 1963, it starred Burt Lancaster and none other than Judy Garland, our Dorothy of the Wizzard of Oz.

Sadly, it told the story of a little boy whose father brought him to a school, or home, for the mentally challenged.  Rueben, a borderline mentally challenged boy portrayed in black and white, brought home the stark reality of life for kiddos back in the days where misunderstanding allowed kids to be shoved into institutions and spend their lives there, forgotten and unloved.

Little Rueben sat every Wednesday during the allotted 'family visiting day' for his folks to come visit him, but alas, they never came. 

His little anquished heart could not move forward, it was stuck. Stuck right in that spot where his daddy left him. Stuck.

How many of the kiddos in the foster system feel like little Rueben?  How many nights do they yearn for their parents, or any parents, to come and save them, and take them home? 

A Child waits. 

For me?

I can only hope so.  I can only pray so.

A child waits...

No comments:

Post a Comment