lovelygirl and me

lovelygirl and me

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Life is a bumpy road

Life is a bumpy road to be sure.

Sometimes you feel you are nanomillimeters from careening off the dirt road that barely seems carved from the rock cliffs.

Yesterday was like that for me.

I thought the road was fairly smooth, a few rocks here and there, until I came around a corner and there it lay...a nasty cavernous hole, stretching ominously before me.  It had the look of a sinister grin.

Luckily, I screeched to a halt right before my tires went over the edge.  When I got out and took a look, the vast depth seemed to pull me in.

Those low places in life can do that to you.  Suck you in, pull you down, sit on top of you with the weight of a thousand bull elephants...suffocating you.  I try and avoid them as much as I can, but somehow Murphy's law throws a few in your path when you least expect it.

Though I can't go into detail about the circumstances, let me tell you that I did not sit on the ground and wail to the heavens. I'm a survivor. I always try and see the best in each situation.  I looked around and found a way to cross the chasm.  A way to the other side. I said it before and I will say it again...if desire is the vehicle, then perserverance is the key.  Dogged determination.

I know I face more obsticles before this race is done. I may not always go the route most traveled. I will not succumb to throwing sticks and spitting...and even if I don't finish the race first...I will finish it.

At the end of the day, when one obsticle tried to thwart me, another one loomed ahead. This time a death of a friend and classmate. He took his own life. Leaving behind a beautiful wife and two children.

It's hard to know which obsticles in life could bring you that low. I couldn't walk in his shoes, not even for a step. He lived his life, and I live mine. We make our own choices.

We chose each step we take the kind of person that we are. 

My heart breaks that in his final moments, he couldn't find the will to survive...he let the blackness of the chasm pull him in.

Life is a bumpy road.

No comments:

Post a Comment